Henderson Reeves Connell Rishworth Lawyers

Relationship Property

A relationship property agreement can help give you certainty about what will happen to your property if your marriage or de facto relationship ends.

The Property (Relationships) Act 1976 (often referred to informally as the Relationship Property Act or Matrimonial Property Act) sets out how the property of couples who are married, in a civil union, or in a de facto relationship is divided when they separate.

It is possible for a couple in a relationship to agree on a different distribution to that set out in the Act by way of a “contracting out agreement”, which is a formal relationship property agreement certified by lawyers. This gives the couple certainty as to what will happen to their property in the event that their relationship ends.

If your marriage or de facto relationship has ended and property issues need to be resolved, or if you are thinking about entering a relationship property agreement, contact one of our relationship property lawyers today.